Shop Talk Actors : One Way To Judge An Acting Performance

One Way To Judge An Acting Performance

After a scene (and the entire movie), do you ever think "If that really happened and was captured on video, that's exactly the way it would look"?

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Re: One Way To Judge An Acting Performance

Well, That is definitely an interesting way to think about and look at it.

Nice 👍

🕊️

That would be a standard that could only work in modern films after the realist revolution in acting that happened in the 60's and 70's. Before that, performers ACTED, meaning there was no actual attempt to be naturalistic, at least most of the time.

I think the changes that happened were good things that ultimately improved the craft, but the further back you go, the more you're seeing artists learn how to work the new medium of film after centuries of an acting culture rooted in stage performances, so you can't judge them by our standards. A genius thespian who blew everyone away in the 1930's might be unemployable today and vice versa.

I do agree about the transition from theater to movies, and how the former had logistical issues that prevented a more natural feel (having to project to the back rows, audibly and visually), but the example I was thinking of was from a TV show in the 50s, which is ironic, since a 25-minute sit-com (Wanted: Dead Or Alive) usually is quick and lean… I'd say Marlon Brando started this trend in the early 1950s to more realism.

BUT, if you go back to Italian cinema in the 1940s, you already see this, with movies like "Bicycle Thieves" and other movies under the umbrella of neo-realism by directors like Vittorio De Sica, Luchino Visconti, and Roberto Rossellini

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List